Friday 3 January 2014

AKU Test Preparation

Check out this blog: AKU Test Preparation

The above article almost says it all that I had in my mind for a blog related to the AKU test.

You need to achieve a relatively low percentage to qualify for the interview, so in my opinion studying a different system's book or going through new concepts in SAT II books would just be a waste of time. Instead, I would recommend you guys to focus on the A'levels syllabus and to make sure that you have sound concepts. Once you are sure of your concepts, then you may go through other stuff.

 If you want to polish your English and Mathematics skills, then check out the SAT I book.

My personal experience:

Back in 2012, I appeared for the test on the 8th of April, a mere month before my A'level finals. Hence, I had very less time to prepare solely for AKU test, yet I dedicated about 10 days to it. My A'levels concepts were already pretty sound so I began my extra preparation with a book called "Dogar AKU MCAT" which was just a summarized version of the Intermediate syllabus. Let me tell you that going through it was pretty useless as the concepts were stated pretty bluntly and since I had no time to practice questions based on the new concepts, and so I was still not able to answer the questions related to intermediate syllabus in the final exam. I also went through the SAT II books once which helped me understand some new concepts that were prevalent throughout the AKU test but reminding you guys again that only knowing the A'levels syllabus is enough to make it to the interview. In the last 2 days before the test, I revised my A'levels concepts.

As for the test itself, I had a very poor Physics section as most of the questions asked were from the Intermediate syllabus that I had little knowledge about. For other sections, there were more questions from the common syllabus which helped me score well. As for science reasoning, it is definitely solvable for us, A'levels students, as the concepts are tested in a very interesting way along with some general knowledge stuff.

When I arrived at the Mathematics section, I was left with very less time, and it was a hassle completing the paper in time. So make sure guys that you keep checking the clock so that you don't run out of time.

In the English section, I made a mess of my essays because of the limited space that was provided to write. They provide you with a set number of lines for each essay and you have to complete your prose within that space and my huge handwriting didn't really help in this case.

Despite all the problems I faced during the paper, I was still able to easily make it through (76%) to the interview which I have already discussed in a previous post. What I want to tell you guys is that the AKU test is pretty easy to clear if you have sound concepts and not knowing a few questions that are out of your system's syllabus doesn't makes a difference as you can easily make it through by just solving the questions that you can answer. So just perfect your syllabus' concepts before you touch anything else. Best of luck from my side.

31 comments:

  1. Our team of writers is comprised of professionals and experts who have wide knowledge and experience in delivering your expectations. We produce highly researched articles through use of various materials that are; our own library full of Books in various common fields, online libraries, your files and other sources.Academics Help We are guided by the principle of Originality, creativity, excellence and customer satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I found your blog to be very helpful as I am applying this year also. I have a couple of questions that I would like your help with.
    1. Can I apply as a foreign student at KEMU as I have dual-nationality?
    2. Are there any scholarships programs for foreign students or do they have to pay $10,000 per annum the whole time?
    Please do let me know as soon as possible. I really need to know. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you can. Sadly, foreign students are not included in scholarship packages and they don't get any extra perks. But if you have done your A'levels/High School from abroad then you can apply for the reserved seats of PEEF (or something that I'm not sure about) which have fees that is as minimum as local students.

      Delete
    2. Your blog was so informative! Godbless you. One mmore thing.. Can I appear in aku entrance test after I complete my A's (A levels part 1) .

      Delete
    3. No, you've got to complete your A'levels in order to get admission in AKU or any other medical institution in Pakistan. And the test score is only valid for admission in the same year as the test is taken.

      Delete
  3. Hey. When is the AKU test? And what is its annual fees? Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dates vary every year so check out the website. It is most probably going to be held after A'levels exams take place in June.
      The annual fees for the university is about 10 lakhs but they do offer loans and financial aid which effectively covers most of the expenses.

      Delete
    2. Hi I recently gave the aku test for the year 2015. I was wondering when the test will be out and what the minimum passing percentage is for the test and when will it be out?

      Delete
    3. Also is there a merit list for this university? If one clears the test, does the merit list come out then or after the interview?

      Delete
    4. @Anonymous: I'm not sure when the result comes out, and minimum passing percentage varies from year to year. There is a separate passing percentage for English which was 55% at my time, and a separate one for the rest of the test which was 68% at my time but it won't be the same this year.

      Delete
    5. @HMZ: No, they don't publish a merit list. You'll get your test result via mail, and if you are shortlisted you'll also get an interview call letter, and an acceptance letter later if you are successful in the interview.

      Delete
  4. OakMoon is SAT2 REQUIRED FOR ADMISSION TO AKU FOR A LEVEL STUDENTS HAVING PAKISTANI NATIONALITY?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you just have to give the AKU entrance test.

      Delete
  5. OakMoon you have stated that u also got admission in LUMS. How did u get that. Did u take Sat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, in my time they had their own test.

      Delete
    2. Can you please guide me regarding lums?

      Delete
    3. You'll have to get a good score in SATs i.e an above 2000 score is kind of a requirement, and must have good grades in O'levels. The online application procedure begins in January, you have to write a personal statement and mention your extra curricular activities and add your grades and stuff. They start sending out admission offers as early as April.

      Delete
    4. Thanks alot brother. May Allah bless you :)

      Delete
  6. Did u join any academy to prepare for aku test or was done at home?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! how did you practice the MCQ's ? No resource is available specifically for AKU, so how did you practice ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do some SAT questions, some books are available like Dogar. I didn't practice much for AKU test as it was before my A'levels exams so I had very less time for it.

      Delete
  8. How important are extra curriculars in making the cut for AKU?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very important unless you have a very high percentage in the AKU test like in the top 5 or top 10. Read this other blog of mine to have in depth detail for the interview: http://academicshelp.blogspot.com/2013/08/a-complete-and-comprehensive-guide-to.html

      Delete
  9. do we need to revise quadratic equations etc as they r in SAT1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to know much of the maths of O'levels.

      Delete
  10. n how much math do we need to know

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just cleared the AKU test ,could you tell me if uhs mcat is necessary for AKU admission

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you do require that. Call AKU and confirm that and before you get admitted you have to appear in an interview for Aga Khan, so clearing the test is not the only thing.

      Delete
    2. I got a letter at the start that said required documents it did not mention mcat scores so I didnt apply for uhs mcat but the recent letter says I need to give uhs mcat but the deadline for application has passed.

      Delete
    3. I think you should address this query to the AKU administration. According to my knowledge, you have to appear in the provincial exam for every single medical college of Pakistan, private or public.

      Delete

Your suggestions and comments will be valued.